German Patent Attorney
European Patent Attorney
Dipl.-Ing. Mechanical Engineering
T: +49 (0)89 9545370 20
Marc Wachenhausen is cofounder and partner of the firm. Before starting his own practice, he was partner in the Munich office of the international law firm Bird & Bird LLP. Over a period of more than 20 years, he has collected experience across many fields, including patent litigation, strategic patent prosecution and IP counseling. In particular, Marc Wachenhausen is frequently representing his clients in hearings at the Federal Patent Court and the Supreme Court, as well as in Regional Courts for infringement. Marc Wachenhausen has extensive experience in medical technology (e.g., cardiovascular, ophthalmic and dental medical devices) and mechanical engineering, including automotive technology, combustion and energy technology, as well as production technology. He also frequently works at the interface of mechanical engineering and computer science with his team members.
It has always been his focus to find optimal solutions for his clients. Consequently, the JUVE Handbook cites Marc Wachenhausen as “competent, quick and very client-oriented“. With his deep insight into industry and his strategic capabilities, he is frequently asked for his support in license matters and settlement negotiations. Marc Wachenhausen is also involved in academic projects, speaks in multiple seminars and summits, and he was the keynote speaker at the International Conference on “Additive Manufacturing Meets Medicine” (AMMM) in Lübeck. In addition, he is a member of the board of examiners for the patent attorney exam at the Federal Patent Court.
- Since 2017 partner at WBH Wachenhausen
- Patent Attorney and partner at Bird & Bird LLP (2011-2015)
- Trainee and Patent Attorney at a renowned firm in Munich (2000-2011)
- Dipl.-Ing. Degree in Mechanical Engineering at RWTH Aachen
- Studies of Combustion Engineering at University of Utah (US)
- Research and Development Engineer at RWE Energy Cologne
- Studies of Mechanical Engineering at University of Siegen
- Studies of Chemistry at University of Kassel
- Languages: German, English
- Counseling an automotive supplier in a German entitlement action, resulting in a decision by the Federal Court of Justice published as “KFZ-Stahlbauteil” (FCJ Decision X ZR 149/12).
- Representation of a manufacturer of coffee capsules in several court actions, including validity and infringement actions.
- Advice and representation in patent validity proceedings (opposition and nullity proceedings), as well as participation in infringement proceedings for national and international corporations in the technical fields of medical technology and mechanical engineering.
- Counseling a medical device company in a cross-border entitlement action, including appeal proceedings at the Federal Court of Justice published as “Mitralklappenprothese” (FCJ Decision X ZR 38/19).
- Representing a telecom manufacturer in patent validity actions at the Federal Patent Court and the Federal Court of Justice, resulting in a decision by the Federal Court of Justice published as “Datenpaketumwandlung” (FCJ Decision X ZR 96/18).
- Elaborating and implementing entry strategies into the European market for foreign medical technology companies, including advice at the interface of patent law and regulatory affairs.
- Strategic development of international IP portfolios (patents and designs) for startups, small and medium-sized businesses, as well as national and international technology corporations with revenues of several billion EUR.
- IP due diligence for mergers and acquisitions for national and international enterprises.
- Advising national and international technology corporations in settlement and license negotiations.