German Patent Attorney
European Patent Attorney
LL.M. European Intellectual Property
M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering
T: +49 (0)89 9545370 23
Thorsten Haslinde is cofounder and partner of the firm. He specializes in opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office and in nullity proceedings before the Federal Patent Court. He is also frequently consulted in infringement proceedings. Additionally, he focuses on drafting and prosecuting national and international patent and design applications as well as on general IP counseling (e.g., portfolio management as well as market entry and prosecution strategies).
He has extensive technical expertise in the field of medical technology (e.g., cardiovascular, ophthalmic and dental medical devices) and mechanical engineering (e.g., energy technology, gear technology, construction machinery, machine tools, control technology and robotics). The JUVE Handbook recommends Thorsten Haslinde for the field of medical technology, describing him as “extremely visible in medical technology suits” and “very present and experienced in EPO oppositions to medical technology patents“.
- LL.M. in European Intellectual Property at FernUniversität Hagen
- Lecturer for IP strategies for MedTech startups at Technical University of Munich (since 2021)
- Since 2017 partner at WBH Wachenhausen
- Training and Patent Attorney at Hoffmann Eitle in Munich and London (2012-2016)
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (focus: energy, flows and processes) at ETH Zurich
- B.Sc. in General Engineering Science at Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg
- Multiple academic prices and awards
- Languages: German, English
- Advice and representation in patent validity proceedings (opposition and nullity proceedings), as well as participation in infringement proceedings of national and international corporations in the technical fields of medical technology and mechanical engineering.
- Counselling of a medical device company in a cross-border entitlement action, including appeal proceedings at the Federal Court of Justice (FCJ Decision of 08/04/2020 – X ZR 38/19 – Mitralklappenprothese).
- Elaborating and implementing entry strategies into the European market for foreign medical technology companies, including advice at the interface of patent law and regulatory affairs.
- Strategic development of international IP portfolios (patents and designs) for startups, small and medium sized businesses, as well as national and international technology corporations with revenues of several billion EUR.
- IP due diligence for mergers and acquisitions.
- Advising international technology corporations on optimization of their IP portfolio.